Over the course of a person’s substance use recovery journey they may need support in different ways. Bed-based treatment and supportive recovery services are one option available. Community bed-based treatment and supportive recovery services are live-in substance use services that are generally offered in a communal living setting. They offer a range of services and programs to help people with their substance use goals. These services can vary in length of stay and the types of services and supports that are offered.

Finding the Treatment/Recovery Service That is Right for You

To help you find bed-based treatment and recovery services in your community, the BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU) in partnership with the Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions and the Ministry of Health has put together the following lists of registered and licensed substance use facilities in British Columbia. The lists have basic information for each service that include:

    • Contact information
    • Links to service websites
    • General eligibility requirements (gender, age) and
    • Whether a service can support someone with an opioid addiction who is taking medications such as opioid agonist treatment (e.g. methadone, buprenorphine/naloxone)

Organizations that are not listed in the resource may be providing a different type of service (e.g. supportive housing, in-hospital treatment) or operating unlawfully. It is important to contact the organization directly to ask for details about services offered.

If you are supporting a loved one to access treatment, there is a section below with additional information on substance use supports that may assist you.

In addition, the Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions has published a data snapshot of services in B.C.:

Note: These resources below are specific to adult bed-based services. If you want to learn more about youth services and where they are located in B.C., please visit this here.

Lists of Treatment and Recovery Services in BC

The services on these lists have been separated into two categories:

    1. Services that offer support to people with higher substance needs are licensed by health authorities, who inspect services and investigate complaints to ensure compliance with the regulations which set the health and safety requirements for these services.
    2. Services that offer support to people with lower substance use needs or have previously completed an intensive treatment program are registered by the Ministry of Health - Assisted Living Registry who inspect services and investigate complaints to ensure compliance with the regulations which set the health and safety requirements for these services.

It is also important to note that while services are subject to regulatory oversight, the lists include all private, not-for-profit, and Health Authority-funded services. These services may also meet or exceed additional service standards.

CMHA Grant Funded Beds

The Canadian Mental Health Association BC (CMHA BC) Grant Funded Beds are publicly funded treatment and recovery beds with no out of pocket fees. These beds are currently available across 19 licensed or registered service providers in B.C. and can be identified on the services map in purple.

People are able to self-refer into the beds by directly contacting the service provider and filling out the providers application. In addition to being open to anyone, these beds prioritize people who self-identify as Indigenous, people involved in the criminal justice system, women, and rural/remote communities.

Check out https://bc.cmha.ca/ for more information on CMHA BC’s programs and services.

Licensed Treatment and Supportive Recovery Services

Licensed treatment and supportive recovery services typically offer higher intensity care to people who may require additional supports and clinical services (e.g., clinical counselling, medical supervision) to achieve their treatment and recovery goals.

Features of a licensed service may include:

    • 30-60-day programs
    • structured social and life skills support
    • peer support and counselling.


    • increased programming and support by credentialed staff e.g. clinical counselling, behavioral therapy, and
    • increased access to medical support

All lawfully licensed substance use facilities must follow the legislation set out in the Community Care and Assisted Living Act (CCALA) and the Residential Care Regulation (RCR).

For more information on licensed substance use services in your community please go to the health authority community care licensing pages. The sites include inspection reports, information on making complaints, and how to connect with additional services.

Vancouver Island Health (VIHA) Community Care Facilities Licensing | Island Health
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCA) Care facility licensing - Vancouver Coastal Health (vch.ca)
Fraser Health (FH) Community care facilities licensing - Fraser Health Authority
Interior Health (IH) Inspection Reports (interiorhealth.ca)
 Northern Health (NH) Community care licensing | Northern Health


Registered Services

Registered Assisted Living supportive recovery residences offer assisted living services to individuals who are looking to work on their wellness goals in a communal environment. These may include:

    • Support to reduce, abstain from, and/or reduce harms associated with substance use
    • Help to stabilize and prepare for the next steps of your recovery journey
    • Help to build skills and confidence to achieve recovery goals

Some features of a registered service could include:

    • Peer led counselling and support
    • Psychosocial (programming) support
    • Structured psycho-educational-social/life skills
    • Assistance with managing medication
    • Support to access outside medical services (e.g., clinical counselling, medical professionals).
    • Staff are typically not medical professionals or clinicians
    • Registered services are often referred to as supportive recovery homes or recovery homes and may offer programs that are longer in length (30 days to 6+months)

All lawfully registered supportive recovery residences must follow the legislation set out in the Community Care and Assisted Living Act (CCALA) and the Assisted Living Regulation (ALR).

For more information on registered supportive recovery services in your community please go to the Ministry of Health-Assisted Living Registry. The site includes inspection reports, information on making complaints, and information on substantiated complaints.

Ministry of Health Assisted Living Registry Ministry of Health Extranet (gov.bc.ca)


Further Information To Support You or Your Loved One

In addition to the lists above, the section below includes general information to support you to find a service that is a good fit for you or your loved one.

Business Model and Fees

Licensed and registered services in British Columbia can be delivered by not-for-profit organizations, private business, and health authorities. Each service has a different business model and costs associated with their service.

    • Services may use different terms to describe these costs (e.g. daily user fee, per diem, treatment cost, daily rate)
    • It is important to ask service providers about any fees they charge and what types of payment they accept (e.g. private pay, medical insurance, SDPR per diem, or if they are publicly funded by a regional health authority)
    • It is recommended to ask about a services refund policy (and any circumstances for which a refund will not be provided) before entering a service.

Medication for Opioid Use

Finding a service that supports continued access to prescribed medication is important if you or a loved one is taking or considering medication for opioid use (e.g., methadone, buprenorphine/naloxone, slow-release oral morphine, and others). If you or loved one is taking medications for opioid use or considering this as part of your treatment plan, it is important to ask a service provider what their policy is regarding prescribed medication to ensure that the level of service fits with your wellness and recovery goals.

For more information about medications for opioid use, please refer to the “Opioids Survivors Guide”. This handbook was written by a group of people from around BC who together have years of experience using opioids and other street drugs.

Additional Resources to Support Your Journey to Wellness

    • Health Link BC: Provides listings for health services across the province
    • Helpstartshere.bc.ca: Provides a list of mental health and substance use resources for individuals
    • Alcohol and Drug Referral Service: This self-referral line is for anyone in BC and can be accessed by phoning 1-800-663-1441.

Your local health authority has pages for additional mental health and substance use services in your community, including withdrawal management and detox services:

Burnaby Centre for Mental Health & Addiction: This centre meets the complex needs of people who are homeless or living in unstable housing, who are vulnerable, and who are affected by significant physical and mental health issues. This program accepts clients on probation, and people on OAT. You need a referral from your care provider to access this service.

Wellness Recovery Action Plan: Provides tips on building a strong support system as part of your recovery action plan.

BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services: Provides a network of services for BC residents.

BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services also offers a
Rehabilitation and Recovery program for patients who have previously received treatment at one of their bed-based facilities.

Resources for Families and Caregivers

From Grief to Action Coping Kit: This handbook contains information about drugs and their use, treatment options, strategies for supporting loved ones, strategies for self-care, and recovery options.

BCCSU Family & Caregiver Resources: This portal is a one-stop-shop for families impacted by substance use, containing resources, information, stories, and support groups. It was created by families for families.


BC Centre on Substance Use

400-1045 Howe St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2A9

E: [email protected] | T: (778) 945-7616 | F: (604) 428-5183

24/7 Addiction Clinician Support Line: (778) 945-7619

Online Addiction Medicine Diploma: [email protected].

website logos footer

Copyright © 2023, BC Centre on Substance Use