Reporting to the BCCSU Executive Director(s) or designate(s), the Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director provides effective and efficient day-to-day administrative functions including scheduling and prioritizing appointments, arranging meetings, distributing agendas, taking meeting minutes, preparing correspondence, drafting presentations and organizing related travel needs. The Administrative Assistant liaises with internal and external organizations on behalf of the Office of the Executive Director(s). The Administrative Assistant assists with academic and research related duties such as journal submissions, maintaining curriculum vitae requirements (CV’s) and teaching dossiers, professional memberships and designations and the submission of research grants for Investigators. This position prepares incurred expenses for reimbursement liaises with internal and external agencies while working with confidential and sensitive information.
The British Columbia Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU) is the provincial resource for evidence-based information and treatment guidance in the field of addiction. The BCCSU plays an advocacy role for positive and public policy change, reducing stigma, and supporting patients and their families. The BCCSU is committed to conducting and translating leading-edge research into improved addiction care across BC. The BCCSU develops training curricula, program standards, and practice guidelines for delivery throughout BC. The BCCSU builds collaborative networks across regional health authorities, researchers, educators, and care providers, and other allied care professionals across the province to ensure that research and innovation efficiently reach the people they are intended to serve. The administrative core of BCCSU is accountable for enabling the research, translation and practice of the organization through timely, innovative and sound management services. The BCCSU values and respects all members of its communities, each of whom individually and collaboratively contribute to transforming care, education, training, and research in this area.
- Ability to type at a minimum of 60 WPM.
- Ability to operate related office equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision, establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and respond effectively to inquiries, both verbally and in writing.
- Flexibility to meet and adapt to changes in organizational priorities.
- Ability to coordinate complex meetings with internal and external contacts.
- Intermediate word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, desktop publishing and database software skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with internal and external individuals and organizations.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, capability of decision making and problem solving within predetermined guidelines.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the sensitivity to issues around substance use.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a diploma or degree in a related field plus a minimum of three (3) years’ recent experience working in an administrative assistant for a senior leader in a health care, medical and/or academic research or equivalent setting. An undergraduate degree in a health related field is an asset. Previous experience in a health research environment is preferred.
- Coordinates the day-to-day administrative functions for the Executive Director(s) or designate(s) which includes organizing activities/initiatives/correspondence including scheduling and prioritizing appointments, arranging meetings, distributing agendas, taking meeting minutes, following up on action items, preparing correspondence and drafting presentations.
- Makes required travel arrangements and reservations including confirming dates, contacting travel agents, obtaining cost and billing information and submitting expense reports for reimbursement to the BCCSU Financial Coordinator. Verifies and forwards itineraries as required.
- Responds to verbal and written inquiries and forwards to appropriate designate. Identifies, prioritizes and takes follow-up action on items as required.
- Utilizes word processing, spreadsheet and graphics software to produce a variety of reports, correspondence and presentation materials for meetings/seminars. Ensures materials, handouts, videos and other supplies for meetings/seminars are complete, accurate and available.
- Liaises with internal and external agencies on behalf of Executive Director(s) including staff within PHC and Health Authorities, government, Foundations, Research Agencies and Universities and works with confidential and sensitive information using discretion.
- Ensures academic materials are up to date which includes teaching dossier and curriculum vitae formats, academic institution templates, professional affiliations and annual memberships.
- Uploads and submits manuscripts, and supporting materials related to scientific publications to peer-reviewed journals platform.
- Assists with the submission of research grants for Investigators including collecting signatures and supporting documentation/ letters, ensuring all materials are uploaded onto the online platforms in a timely manner.
- Prepares expenses and related documentation by compiling receipts, credit card statements and completing cheque requests for reimbursement. Reviews and ensures appropriate account information is included on the documents.
- Liaises with internal and external agencies including staff within PHC and Health Authorities, government, Foundations, Research Agencies and Universities and works with confidential and sensitive information using discretion.
- Updates and maintains related filing systems for the designated leader/ project to ensure efficient and effective retrieval of information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply:http://www.providencehealthcare.org/careers/postings/administrative-assistant-executive-director-bc-centre-substance-use-bccsu-0
Posting Number: PHC20-120989