The 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line provides telephone consultation to physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, midwives, and pharmacists who are involved in addiction and substance use care and treatment in British Columbia. The Support Line will connect these health care providers to an Addiction Medicine Specialist who has expertise and knowledge in addiction medicine (including emergency, acute, and community care). Consultation can include support in screening, assessment, treatment and management of substance use and substance use disorder(s).
With the ongoing dual public health emergencies (overdoses and COVID-19 pandemic), new clinical guidance, supports, education, and regulatory amendments are being rapidly developed and implemented, which may increase health care provider requests for supports as they work with their care teams and develop necessary care planning. The Support Line is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year to provide rapid response for time sensitive clinical substance use inquiries.
To call the 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line and speak to an Addiction Medicine Specialist, call 778-945-7619.
The 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line does not provide:
- Appointment booking
- Residential treatment referrals or personal clinical care for community members
- Arranging for laboratory or diagnostic investigations
- Patient care transfer
- Clinical consultation for inquiries unrelated to substance use
- Coordination of prescribing and pharmacy services
Who can use this service?
The 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line is available for physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists, and midwives caring for individuals with substance use concerns. Health care providers using this service must be practicing in British Columbia.
What to expect?
When you call for a consultation, you will speak with an Addiction Medicine Specialist who can offer:
- Telephone advice and support
- Help with connection to local and online resources
- Tailored education opportunities
The Addiction Medicine Specialist can help with diagnostic clarification, medication recommendations and treatment planning. Support is available for a wide range of substance use concerns such as opioids, alcohol, stimulants, and benzodiazepines.
Can I bill MSP when I use the service?
If fee code requirements are met, physicians can bill MSP accordingly.
How is it different from the RACE Line?
While the RACE line will continue to provide vital consultation for prescribers in BC, this Support Line will provide added support to help fill in any gaps that currently exist. There are a few ways this line is distinctly different:
- Immediate access to addiction medicine specialists for urgent consultation and advice (e.g. Emergency room consultation, acute care etc.)
- Available 24/7, 365 days a year instead of limited hours during the weekdays
- Accessible to physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists instead of just physicians and nurse practitioners
To reach the 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line and speak to an Addiction Medicine Specialist, call 778-945-7619.
For general inquiries about the 24/7 Addiction Medicine Clinician Support Line, please contact:
- BC Centre on Substance Use
- 400-1045 Howe St
- Vancouver, BC V6Z 2A9
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 778-945-7616