B.C. to distribute free nasal naloxone but experts wary of funding set to end next year

published on February 25, 2026 by Emily Fagan in CBC News

Harm reduction advocate Leslie McBain’s heart leapt when she heard the news that nasal naloxone kits would soon be free across B.C.

McBain, who cofounded Moms Stop The Harm in the wake of her son’s toxic drug overdose, says having an accessible alternative to the injectable intramuscular naloxone will save lives.

Not everyone is comfortable carrying or using a syringe to administer naloxone — but a nasal spray can be an easier alternative.

However, she and others who pushed for this program are concerned to see that B.C. has so far only committed funding for free nasal naloxone until the end of March 2027.

“It’s very troubling actually,” she said. “The toxic drug crisis will not be over in one year.”…

View the full article