Too many families and communities have been personally and tragically affected by the opioid overdose crisis in Canada. In response to the unsupported and unresolved challenges experienced by families affected by substance use, the BC Centre on Substance Use co-hosted Stronger Together, a series of dialogue and learning sessions for families and allies impacted by substance use.
Family members with a loved one who is using substances or has died from substance use, as well as service providers supporting families, were invited to attend these sessions. Community knowledge was documented with the aim to inform substance use service planning, as well as research directions, in British Columbia.
Stronger Together sessions have been hosted in communities across BC, in partnership with Moms Stop the Harm, Parents Forever, From Grief to Action, the BC Bereavement Helpline, and the five regional Health Authorities. With thanks to the Community Action Initiative for funding.
Past Stronger Together Events
- Victoria: November 28-December 1, 2018 (Summary of findings)
- Surrey: March 5-9, 2019 (Summary of findings)
- Powell River: April 3-5, 2019 (Summary of findings)
- Fort St. John: May 8-15, 2019 (Summary of findings)
- Prince George: May 8-15, 2019 (Summary of findings)
- Mission: September 9-11, 2019 (Summary of findings – Coming Soon)
- Campbell River: September 30-October 3, 2019 (Summary of findings – Coming Soon)
- Vancouver: November 14-December 7, 2019 (Summary of findings – Coming Soon)
We’d like to thank the following organizations for their support and partnership on Stronger Together:
- BC Bereavement Helpline
- BC Coroners Service
- Boys & Girls Club of Canada
- Canadian Mental Health Association – BC Division
- From Grief To Action
- Moms Stop The Harm
- Parents Forever
- Regional Health Authorities: Fraser Health, Interior Health, Island Health, Northern Health, Vancouver Coastal Health
With thanks to many additional organizations who are supporting with the local community events.
For additional information, please contact [email protected].